Monday, May 21, 2018

O is for Owl


This week at the library is our stress relief storytime. I do my storytimes on the odd Tuesdays. So, I am actually a week late posting about our Letter O storytime. Let's see if I can remember what we did.... (insert smiley face here since I have no idea how to do that.)
Of course we began with my ice breaker song. They think it's my favorite song. "If You're Happy and You Know It".
Everyone brought something for Show and Tell time! Among those items we had an orange, an Owl, an otoscope, orange marker and my grandson came up and pointed to me- his Oma (it's German for Grandma and what I go by).
I talked about opposites and read the book Octopus Opposites by Stella Blackstone.
Then we played a game where I gave each child a laminated card which they had to match to someone else's card as the opposite. This was a free printable I found at Playdough to Plato. Then we read Little Owl's Orange Scarf by Tatyana Feeney.
This is a favorite book of mine and I read it whenever I get the chance. It's just the right length and adorable.
We added to our Alphabet Zoo Phonics- Olive Octopus. It's taking us longer and longer to say these each week, but I think it's worth it. I even had one mom tell me her little guy has been going around the house chanting the zoo phonics. These comments make my day!
We moved on to the tables where we worked on our Letter O animal- an owl of course.
I put out some sequins and bottles of glue along with this octopus printable from "A Little Pinch of Perfect"
Then I got out the shaving cream and let the kids make the letter O in it. Some kids were not crazy about putting their fingers in shaving cream and others loved it!
That's all we did. I did send home some great worksheets. I know some people aren't crazy about worksheets, but I try to find super fun ones like mazes and color by numbers. Some of my moms homeschool so I started the worksheets to give them something to have at home to reinforce what we learn at storytime.
The book they took home was "The Other Side" by Jacqueline Woodson.
I'll be back next week with the letter "P"!
~Mrs. Angel

No comments:

The Breast Cancer Site