Sunday, October 25, 2009

A Future and a Hope....

I just have to blog about church this morning. It was so awesome. And to think I almost missed it because I was cold this morning and had a hard time getting going. SO glad I didn't.
The sermon series is called "Tune In" and is all about prayer. We've missed the last couple of weeks, but I hope to get them on CD and listen. Prayer is something I've already been feeling convicted about. I know I don't spend enough time with my God.
This isn't part of my story, but I have to tell you that we had some excitement towards the end of the message. The speakers and microphone started squealing and making some awful racket. They finally had to turn off the sound system altogether. And then someone noticed that one of the speakers on stage was smoking. Crazy. As they carried it off, I thought they were walking towards the baptistery and half expected them to throw it in, but they didn't.
Anyway, after the sermon which was based on 1 Samuel 3, our preacher told everyone to get into a position of prayer and tell God "Speak God, for your servant is listening". He gave us quite a bit of time and as I prayed I was thinking of the burden that has been on my heart a lot lately which is Kevin's retirement. We've been talking about it and I know Kevin has been considering it, but I've been very skeptical about it. FEAR is a better word. I've been the one talking him out of it, pointing out the bad job market. The fact is the very thought of retirement has me sick to my stomach and gripped in FEAR.
But, I sat there in church this morning and I prayed. I prayed for God to speak to me. And I thought of the card in my Bible that I had seen a few seconds before. I had written Jeremiah 29:11 on it in Bible study. (As if to reinforce this thought, the guy 2 seats in front of us was wearing a football jersey with the number 11 on it. God WILL clarify things for you!)
I can quote this verse from memory and I started to do that, but I felt God saying to me to read that verse and what comes after it. I opened my Bible and read and as I read tears came streaming from my eyes.
This is what I read:
"For I know the plans I have for you," says the LORD. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. In those days when you pray I will listen. If you look for me in earnest, you will find me when you seek me. I will end your captivity and restore your fortunes. I will gather you out of the nations where I sent you and bring you home again to your own land."
Jeremiah 29:11-14
WOW!
God spoke.
I think I see retirement in Kevin's near future.

2 comments:

Jonya said...

Angel, this brought tears to MY eyes! Thank you for sharing. Yes, God does speak to us! It's the patience and hearing it that's the hard part! I'm so happy for you that your heart has been given some peace~

Love you!
j.

Kelley said...

Wow! So powerful, so awesome!! You were ready to listen!! HUGS!

The Breast Cancer Site