Tuesday, April 17, 2018

M is for Mouse and Monsters

I was so very excited for the letter M. We had a lot to do in our hour!
I met the children at the door with one of my mouse puppets.
A puppet greeting is so much fun I have decided to do it every week if possible.

Today we started with our usual opening song- "If You're Happy & You Know It" and immediately followed that with "Show & Tell". Lots of creative thinking as we had a moose, magnet, milk jug, mug, monkey, McDonald's drink, My Little Pony and a picture of Mom (loved that!).
Each week I bring out a small box full of little items. This week my box held a mitten, monster and little gold mouse.
We did all of our Alphabet Phonics. Zoo Phonics letter M was Missy Mouse.
We talked about the weather.
And then we did our flannel board activity. It was difficult to choose activities as there are so many cool books, flannel board ideas, fingerplays and activities to choose from for this letter.
I finally decided on "The Polka Dot Monster" which I found at Storytime ABC's. I hand drew and cut out my own felt monster.
"Polka Dot Monster"
I'm a little monster friendly and bright.

I won't give anyone a fright.

I love polka dots but I have none.

So step right up and give me red ones.




I'm a little monster friendly and bright.

I won't give anyone a fright.

I love polka dots but I only have some.

So step right up and give me orange ones.




Continue until each color has been added.


then sing the last verse:
I'm a little monster friendly and bright.

I won't give anyone a fright.

I love polka dots and I have lots.

Thank you for my colorful spots.
Today's books were

Go Away Big Green Monster by Ed Emberly- If you aren't familiar with this book it is fun! The pages are diecut and as you turn the pages the monster's face appears and then disappears as you tell the features to go away. It's short and sweet. The kids love it.
Dining with Monsters was a backup and we didn't get time to read it, but the pages fold out of this counting book as you count how many bugs and things these monsters dine on. It's also short and fun.
Mice by Rose Fyleman is illustrated in Lois Ehlert's unique fashion and was a crowd pleaser. The moms especially loved it.

I Can Teach My Child came up with an adorable alphabet monster made from baby wipes. I found this idea a few years ago and immediately started collecting my milk and other bottle caps. A few weeks ago I started punching circles and cutting letters. I wanted each family to be able to take home a monster. I came up with several games to use with him.
Inside each monster is a set of 52 caps with upper case and lower case letters. I neglected to get a photo. Will have to add that later.
We used the alphabet monster for our first activity. I drew the caps out one by one and the kids colored in the letter to match the cap. I found this printable on ABC's of Literacy. I didn't use it for the intended purpose, but it worked.

Next we made our Alphabet Animal. This week was a mouse. The photo is a little dark. Sorry.

I found these monster stamps on Zulily and the printable on The Measured Mom.
With so much to do I ended up sending home the next printable along with a couple of snack size bags of M&Ms. I can't find the link at the moment...sorry.
Our free book was Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears which is A West African Tale written by Verna Aardema and illustrated by Leo and Diane Dillon.
That was all for today! M was magnificent!
See you for N!
~~Mrs. Angel

No comments:

The Breast Cancer Site