Wednesday, June 6, 2018

P is for Pig


Letter P Storytime day was a couple of weeks ago. It was a great time. I told the families to come in their pajamas for a party as we kicked our summer off! I felt a little funny in my pajamas at work, but it was fun!
We started off at the rug with...you guessed it- "If You're Happy & You Know It".
There were some cool things for "Show & Tell" (which I can't recall right now).
We read "Polar Bear, Polar Bear What do You Hear?" by Bill Martin.
I brought out the small parachute today and a couple of stuffed animals. We "rocked" them to sleep by bouncing them slowly. We went a little bit faster as they started to snore and finally we woke them up by bouncing them fast! The kids loved the parachute as they usually do. I really need to pull that out more often!
Next we did a "Pocket Alphabet" Activity. I made some pockets with my Cricut and printed and cut out some fun library cards I found at Sweetly Scrapped. I cut the upper case letter on the pocket and the lower case letter on the card and gave each child a couple of cards. We went through the alphabet and each child out their card in the pocket. I wish I would have had the time to laminate them beforehand so they would have been easier to stick in the pocket, but it was a great fine motor activity.
We forgot to go through our Animal Phonics today but we would have added "PeeWee Penguin" had we done it.
Lastly at the rug we read Pete the Cat, I love My White Shoes" by Eric Litwin and James Dean.
I wish more books were like this one. Pete the Cat really engages the children.
Off to the tables for fine motor work. We made a pig from the letter P.
Then I pulled out the playdough and these so cool alphabet playdough mats from This Reading Mama. I made 3 batches of playdough months ago (red, blue and yellow) and I was so happy when I pulled it out and it was still soft! This is a great recipe from I Heart Naptime!
Here are 2 of the mats that my granddaughter used.
We had Pirate Booty for a snack.
And I sent them home with some fun worksheets and a copy of "The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs" By Scieszka.
This storytime was one of my favorites so far!

No comments:

The Breast Cancer Site