Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Q is for Quail and R is for Rabbit

We are already at "R"! Well, we are needing to speed things up a little to get all of the alphabet in this summer so we kinda combined Q and R.
At the rug and after singing "If You're Happy and You Know It", and talking about the weather, we had "Show and Tell". A Question mark, Queen, quarter, rabbit, rubber band and red key chain were among what was brought. We did do Alphabet Phonics today and so we added "Queenie Quail" and "Robby Rabbit". We read 2 books today. One of which is a new favorite for me "RRRalph" by Lois Ehlert which is a book about a "talking" dog. It is so cute!
We also read "Roaring Rockets" by Milton a book about space travel written in rhyme.
I had a flannelboard activity today-
"Four Little Rockets".
Four Little Rockets
Four little rockets winking at me.
One shot off and then there were three!
Three little rockets with nothing to do.
One shot off, and then there were two!
Two little rockets afraid of the sun.
One shot off, and then there was one!
One little rocket alone is no fun.
It shot off, and then there was none!
I found this one at Storytime Katie a few years ago and made it out of scrap paper scraps. It's one of my favorites. But, I will need to add that picture later.
Things didn't go quite as planned today. I planned on sending home the quail Q, but we ended up making it since I misplaced the rockets we were going to make. I guess those will be space shuttles for S!
Instead we made both the Quail and the Rabbit. And I will add the Rabbit picture later although you can see it in one of the photos.
After that I passed around a couple of tubs of rice. One tub had foam letters buried in it and a couple of pairs of kids tweezers for them to pull them out with. The idea was for them to unbury the letters and put them back into the foam puzzle.
The other tub contained a set of magnetic letters and some magnet wands for them to pull them out with. For this one I printed the Magnetic Alphabet Match printable from Letters of Literacy and taped it onto a magnetic sheet.The kids unburied the letters and put them onto the sheet. These were both highly popular with the kids.
An assortment of Q and R worksheets and puzzles went home along with a copy of "My Rotten Redheaded Older Brother" by Polacco.
I will be back for S in a few weeks as we have a change of our regular lineup for summer programming!
Happy Reading~
Mrs. Angel

No comments:

The Breast Cancer Site