Thursday, August 27, 2009

Our Wildelife...

I've had a couple of pretty cool things happen this week I thought I would share.
On Tuesday morning when I woke up there were 5 deer in the backyard. It's very unusual for us to see them in broad daylight and the sun was already out. I took a few pictures from the picture window in the kitchen. They aren't very good because I didn't want to scare them away, so I didn't get too close to the window. You can see they were watching the house pretty closely.

Then yesterday I heard a thump on the window and went to the deck to see which of the birds had the collision. I was surprised to see a little female hummingbird laying flat on her back. We've had all sorts of birds hit the window and sadly, even had one fatality. But, I've never seen it be a hummingbird that ran into the window. They can stop in midair so I didn't expect that at all. I picked her up and placed her in a shoebox so a cat wouldn't happen upon her for his midday meal. I was surprised at how soft she was!!! She was breathing very heavily, but was conscious. I grabbed my camera for a picture. After a few minutes, I went inside to get her a drink. Katie was holding the box and while I was inside, Fiona (as we fondly call her) found the strength to fly away when another hummingbird flew by.

As you can see, I've really been trying to update more lately.
I want to thank you so much for visiting.

1 comment:

Peggy said...

I love the deer! Do you turn your flash off to take the pics throught your window? Is that a stupid question? LOL

The Breast Cancer Site